Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Squash - Use it up

In our ongoing quest for healthy food, we slightly modified a recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.  The vegetable garden is producing more than we can eat, primarily cucumbers right now, but also yellow squash.

I had received a recipe in my email for Grilled Sausage with Summer Squash, Fresh Herbs & Olives.  When I checked the sausage we had in the freezer I found that even the chicken/turkey sausages, that we had been eating because we thought they were good for us, have a bunch of sodium and fat.  The next option was to substitute skinless chicken breasts.  I rubbed a minimal amount of olive oil on the chicken pieces and sprinkled a tiny bit of Lawry's Seasoned Salt on them, leaving them whole for the grill.    

Once the chicken was on I chunked a big yellow squash into 1 inch pieces and tossed it in a bowl with a little olive oil and Lawry's Seasoned Pepper, a salt-free mix of black and red peppers.  The garden had given us a few yellow bush beans so I threw them in with the squash.  This went into a grill basket and joined the chicken on the grill.

While they cooked, I chopped fresh basil and parsley from the garden with some mint left over from the Middle Eastern Lentil Loaf.  Threw this in a big bowl with a tablespoon of capers.  The recipe called for halved kalamata olives but having accidentally bought the ones canned with red jalapenas, I put them in a separate dish for Larry to add at will.

When the chicken was done, I cut it into eating size pieces and added it to the bowl with the roasted vegetables, tossing everything together.   Larry is not a fan of lemons but I squeezed fresh lemon juice on my serving.  No extra salt was needed.  It wasn't missed.

We both loved it.  Every bite offered a different combination of fresh flavors.  We post all our favorites online, so this will be added to our website .  As we discover and enjoy new heart healthy recipes we will post them with a small heart symbol

Stay tuned since we have an ambitious agenda for dinners this week.  Lobster Rolls, Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas with home made tortillas and guacamole, Portabella Mushrooms with Garlic Swiss Chard and Summer Bouillabaisse with Smoky Rouille - all modified from recipes sent to me by Fine Cooking magazine.  No, I am not on commission. They just send really fine recipes to me every day!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home