Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday, Week 7

No pictures today. No progress today. I took the day off to play bridge with my ladies group and calm down. Tuesday was not a stellar day.

I awoke with high hopes for an action-packed week and the very first thing two painters showed up, neither of whom spoke English and one of whom was talking on his cell phone and ignoring me in my own home. By the time the young, smart, painting contractor showed up, I was already angry. I am the child of immigrants and have no problem with legal immigrants, BUT I must have someone with whom to communicate when they are working on my home!

The previous day I asked the carpenters if the caulking didn't need to be done so that the painters could touch it up (the caulk is white, the cabinets are ivory). "No problem," I was told, "the painters can do that." The painting contractor says, "No, we don't do that."

So I called Walter, the contractor, in charge of coordinating these things. While we talked, the painting contractor decided that my kitchen was not ready for painting. The drywallers hadn't patched the walls yet. So the painters left.

Walter called in the drywallers who thought I had complained somehow about their work. Lots of attitude when they arrived. They were surprised to find that the electrician had opened up the walls to get to the wiring, tearing up the work they had done the last time they were here. And they arrived unprepared to complete their work. No sheet rock. They stayed and mudded the imperfections in the walls and ceilings with sanding to follow at a later date.

In the meantime, Walter advised that the countertop fabricator wanted me to drive some 60 miles one way to approve the granite slab that "looked sort of red" to him. (While this is all going on, I have customers calling and orders coming in.) I advised that I didn't have time to drive to his shop and what would I see since I had personally chosen the slab to start with. Turns out, the fabricator did not have the slab I had chosen and put my name on. Walter and I agreed that he should go and get it!

I feel certain that every job has one extremely bad day. We have now had ours.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Where is the wine rack ?
Is the garden ready for viewing ?

Paul and Diana Hollis

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home