Monday, February 18, 2008

Kitchen Remodeling - Days 5 thru 8

Friday was Day 5 and not much happened. Just when I was ready to leave the house, the plumber and helper showed up for about 15 minutes and then left again, promising to return on Tuesday.

Of course, nothing was scheduled for the weekend. Larry worked on the built in ironing board which, as we suspected had no insulation between it and the original siding that was put on the house, beneath the cedar shake. I had some suggestions but was asked to leave the room. Keeping tensions down during this time is critical. So far I think we are doing great.

This morning, Monday, the contractor and electrician showed up. The electrician is a nice, young guy named Steve. He made copious notes about what he is expected to do and then had to leave - Columbus Day and his child was out of school. Walter delivered the can lights for the ceiling and then we sat down to see the pre-construction power point presentation which we hadn't gotten around to yet. It assures me that there is a predictable psychological roller coaster that runs through the remodeling process and that at the end all will be well. It also says that even when I don't think anything is going on - something is.

Walter said his people would rough up the wallpaper, spray it with chemicals and then take it down. When he left, I took it down. It was like stripping masking tape and came down easily.

No roughing up, no chemicals. I hated losing the wallpaper, the design of which had tied the kitchen together. I hesitated in the laundry room, thinking that perhaps we could leave the paper in that small area, but it had already been damaged by removal of the ironing board framing, so it had to go. I did save a nice roll that had come off cleanly and was in good condition. Perhaps I will use it to mat a picture for the kitchen - in honor of the old design.



In the meantime, the cats are in the lap of luxury. They spend most of their day in the solarium which has been outfitted for their needs and ours. Day one,
Tipper sharpened his claws on the Oriental rug - a big no-no - so we covered the rug with a piece of canvas duck that I had ordered to cover the second chair. We had already called into service the piece of canvas from Larry's Mom that she had used beneath her painting easel to prevent accidents. Both good upholstered chairs are covered with sheeting and fur. Carpet samples help cover the edge of the Oriental and provide a scratching place. Of course, kitty litter inevitably is everywhere. I vacuum daily.



The cats wander into the now empty kitchen and occasionally try out their new-found freedoms to explore how far they can go in other directions. During the severe thunderstorm yesterday evening, I let them go whereever they felt safe. Tipper chose the bottom shelf of the brand new end table in the living room. The new living room furniture is also covered with sheeting to protect it from the dust, so this could be confusing to little cat brains. So far so good.

Tomorrow we expect the electrician at 8 a.m. I told him Larry would open the door. I don't do morning. The plumber should be here too. "I will be done by 3 p.m. on Wednesday," the electrician announced confidently. I like that in a man.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home